Cat lick pillow when there is a nutritional imbalance in her body. Cat generally does this to maintain a healthy lifestyle and ensure they are safe. In medical terminology, the symptom is called Pica. As per the research, Pica is caused by a deficiency in fiber or fat.
Why does my cat lick my bedding?
A cat would perform the licking when alone, and she doesn’t have anything interesting to do. Licking is a process they adopted to clean themselves. When cats start licking bedding, they might be cleaning their tongue.
Also, there are possibilities that the cat now considers the bedding as their sleeping area. Cat will prefer to have their bedding clean and neat, so they lick them and keep them clean from the bacteria.
If your cat shows access licking on every object they find in the home, then there might be some health problem in the cat. Some veteran believes the licking obsession develop when a cat is going through the fiber and fat deficiency.
When you find the cat is consistently doing the licking of the object, consult the doctors. They will diagnose their blood and other body parts to ensure they are not going through any health problems.
How do you fix Pica in cats?
If you are thinking, “What does it mean when a cat licks you?”. There is well-known practice use by many cat owners when they find their cat is licking everything they see in the home.
Here is the solution to get rid of the pica health issue and make your cat normal. The below explanation will help you to find the answers to the cat’s unusual behavior.
1) Take away the items from home. A cat would prefer licking the same thing again and again. Simply taking them away would reduce their obsession with the item.
2) Offer alternative cat options to chew. The cat might have developed an interest in chewing something. They might be craving it. Offering them something safe for their health will calm down their nervous system.
3) Spend some time with your cat. Set the routine for playing with your cat. Buy some soft toys and use them on the playing field. When a cat is happy, they will forget the routine and enjoy the day with you.
4) Anything that Cat finds appealing, they will jump over it to see how it feels from the close interaction. Remove such items from the place and make it less attractive.
Hanging clothes, shiny objects, small size items that mimic the rat are some things that might generate interest in the cat, and they start playing with it.
5) If your Cat is playing with the home plants, they ensure that the plant is kept away from the cat. Some plants would have toxic chemicals in their leaves.
If your cat eats the plant leaves, it may fall sick. Also, the animal’s presence around the plant makes the plant more conscious, and they release the toxic chemical to protect themselves.
6) Talk to veterans and share the information about their cat behavior. The cat may be going through some undetected medical condition. A veteran will guide you in the process and get the cat to diagnose to find the reason behind the symptoms.
Why does my cat lick fabric?
Fabric licking or chewing is the compulsive behavior of the cat. She does that when they are under stress or going through the frustration of losing something. Sometimes cats desire to chew something when their gems are craving for the meat.
The most accessible item in the home is the clothes, so they find their way out to the nearby garments, perfect for chewing and relaxing their nervous system.
Also, check for the smell of the clothes. Offering them something else to chew, such as a soft toy, would keep them away from the clothes. It is also possible that the cat might have smell something in the clothes which encouraging them to chew the clothe.
How can I get my cat to stop licking my pillow?
A cat might use the pillow during its regular self-grooming session. Cat love to put their stuff clean and neat. Once the cat starts considering the pillow place on the bed is for her.
She will begin taking care of it. Licking shows that the cat has not developed a sense of position about the pillow.
Another reason is the cat may be bored and anxious. When there is nothing essential to do, the cat will start looking for something to relax. The licking is also a sign that the cat is relaxed and calm.
If you have recently moved to a new home, the cat might adjust to the new place. She is making sure that the place is safe and item around her or use by them is safe. Sometimes the licking comes as a compulsive decision that cats make when they see an item in the house familiar to their old experience.
Give your cat some time to relax. You can spend playing with her so she will forget about the licking and start playing with you.
Talk to the veteran
Encourage your cat to do something else, and in return, feed her favorite food so she remembers the process. Cat love to spend time with their owner. When you have time alone, use some toys and play with her.
If your cat is separated from other cats recently, she might be missing her companion. She might be performing the licking on the pillow while thinking about the other cat.
The obsession for the licking pillow continues after you apply every available method, and you still don’t see any progress, meet the veteran to conduct the diagnosis. Skin irritation, hairballs, infection would make the cat develop anxiety.
Talk to the veteran and share information about how the cat is behaving. It is vital to know what is going on in the cat’s mind. Anything that is unusual and stays for longer would affect the cat’s health in the long run. It would help if you put the cat on the medication until it recovers from the problem.